Mediums are additives which alter or enhance the characteristics of the colour. They are used to change the rate of drying, increase gloss, improve flow, provide texture etc. Mediums are based on the binders used in milling the colours: linseed oil, alkyd resin and modified oils for water mixable oils.
Traditional oil based mediums are made from a combination of oil and solvents, while the alkyd based mediums combine synthetic alkyd resins and solvents. Because alkyd resin functions in much the same way as linseed oil, alkyd mediums may be added to conventional oils. Alkyd resin mediums offer dramatic advantages by accelerating the speed of drying, as well as adding a unique, natural translucency. We offer a range of mediums to suit your different needs.
All mediums should be used in moderation, they are intended only as an additive to the colour. In addition, you should avoid adding multiple mediums to the colour. The most stable film is likely to contain a single medium.
Winsor & Newton Oil Paint Mediums:
- Impasto Medium helps you build texture with Artisan Oil Colours and speeds drying time.
- Painting Medium thins the consistency of Artisan oil paints, improves flow and wetting and facilitates detail work. It dries slowly to a flexible film.
- Stand Oil improves the flow and leveling of Artisan Oil Colours. Slow drying, it’s great for glazing and fine details and produces a paler, more flexible film than linseed oil.
- Fast Drying Medium speeds the drying time of Artisan Oils by about 50% and also increases gloss and transparency. It is excellent for glazing and fine details, and resists yellowing.
- Linseed Oil reduces consistency of Artisan Oil Colours, improves flow and increases gloss and transparency.