GOLDEN GAC (short for Golden Artist Colors) Specialty Acrylic Polymers are based on 100% acrylic polymer emulsions. The GACs are useful as mediums or modifiers of acrylic paints.
GACs can be blended with GOLDEN Acrylic Paints to extend the paint, regulate transparency, create glazes, increase gloss, reduce viscosity or improve adhesion and film integrity. The GAC polymers can also be used for binding pigment solids for various effects and surfaces. Unlike the other GOLDEN Mediums and Gels, GAC Acrylic Polymers have only a minimum amount of thickeners, levelers, de-foamers and surfactants to ensure good film formation.
The consistency of the GAC polymers is very fluid and thinner than other GOLDEN Mediums. Since they do not have thickeners added, these polymers will reduce the thickness of most GOLDEN Acrylic Paints. GOLDEN Fluid Acrylics are slightly thicker than the GACs, but will be the color line least changed in viscosity with any addition of a GAC polymer.
Each GAC product represents a unique polymer that offers certain specific attributes. Therefore, each GAC will have its own unique benefits and applications. Refer to the individual product description of each GAC below to find the proper medium to use for a particular application.
- GAC 100 is useful for diluting and extending colors as well as increasing flexibility and film integrity. Wets out solids more readily than other polymers and is useful for creating homemade paints.
- GAC 200 is the hardest and least flexible of GOLDEN acrylics. Useful for increasing film hardness and reducing tack. Useful for increasing adhesion to rigid, non-porous materials like glass.
- GAC 400 dries to a hard, stiff film. When applied over a fabric support such as cotton, linen or silk, GAC 400 will dramatically stiffen the support. This allows artists to transform lightweight fabric into freestanding forms that will hold their shapes.
- GAC 500 has excellent leveling ability and forms a hard, flexible, glossy film. Used to increase film hardness and reduce tack, it's the hardest polymer suitable for flexible supports.
- GAC 800 dries with uniform surface integrity. It will not develop shrinkage crevices when poured. Dries with gloss and flexibility, but only moderate clarity. Useful to increase adhesion to chalky surfaces.
- GAC 900, when heat-set on fabric, offers a very soft hand and laundering stability. Blend with various acrylic colors to produce fabric paints that can be airbrushed, hand-brushed or screen-applied.