The Sienna Plein Air Pochade boxes are designed to be used with the Sienna Plein Air Pochade Box system.
These pochade boxes are designed with ease of use, durability, and versatility in mind. They are beautiful to look at and convenient to use. Our pochade box is essentially an easel and a palette in one. Both canvas panels and stretched canvas can be held in the adjustable canvas holders. The lid of the pochade box is held firmly in place at any angle thanks to the lid adjustment arm. The lid will even go completely flat for watercolor painting.
This pochade boxes includes a removable clear birch palette ideal for oils and acrylics. Two sets of palette blocks are also included which allow for other palette materials to be used in the box, such as the sienna watercolor palette and pastel box (sold separately). The pochade box also includes a handy brush tray that stores on the back of the lid with magnets. The tray is ideal for holding wet brushes, palette knives and palette cups. It attaches on the right side of the box and is held in place with magnets during use.
- Closed Dimensions - 12-3/4" x 10-1/4" x 2-3/4"
- Net Weight - 3.4 lbs
- Max canvas size - 15"
- Palette area of 9” x 10”
- Strong Construction - The pochade boxes are built with strong finger joint construction using, poplar, maple, and Baltic birch components. A beautiful cherry stain and lacquer finish transform these painting tools into pieces you will treasure.
- Ergonomic Star Knobs - All adjustments of the canvas holders and lid angle arm are controlled with easy to adjust plastic star knobs. Far superior to the common wing nuts found in many plein air easels the star knobs are easy to grip and result in much tighter holding power.
- Lid Adjustment Arm - The simplicity of the lid adjustment arm is what makes it so effective. The star knobs make adjustments easy and the lid can be held at any angle, (including flat for watercolors). The arm is designed in such a way that the pochade box can be used on a flat surface as a table easel. Rubber bumpers are on the bottom of the box just for this purpose. In fact the Pochade box is the perfect small easel for studio use as well as plein air.
- Birch Palette - Each pochade box includes a birch palette with a clear lacquer finish, ideal for use with oil & acrylic paint. The finish provides an easy to clean finish and the light birch color is good for color mixing.
- Palette Blocks - There are two sets of palette blocks with each pochade box. The blocks offer variety with the type of palette you use. For example: The small blocks hold the included birch palette. This can be replaced with glass (not included) if desired. The Sienna watercolor palette and pastel box (both sold separately) can be used with the large set of blocks. A disposable paper palette pad can also be used with the large blocks.
- Canvas Holders - The canvas holders are designed for ease of use and versatility. Both panels and stretched canvas can be held between the holders. Two star knobs in the rear of the lid adjust the height of your canvas. The maximum height of the M box is 15 inches; the L box is 17 inches. Any width within reason can be accommodated on both boxes.
- Brush Tray - The included brush tray is a pleasure to use. It stows away perfectly on the back of the lid with the help of two magnets. During painting it slips over the right side of the palette box and stays put with another pair of magnets. There are indents for seven brushes and a flat area for holding palette cups of painting medium or thinner.
- Tripod Mounting Plate - A critical piece of the pochade box is the mounting plate. A ¼” thick piece of aluminum 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” accomplishes this beautifully, with a standard ¼ x 20 threaded hole as the fastening point. The plate is attached to the frame of the box with three stout screws. There is a large area for the ballhead quick release plate to grab onto and hold the box firmly in place on the tripod.