DANIEL SMITH Extra Fine Watercolor Color Map Mixing 10 Tube Set
Our chemist measures all of the Daniel Smith Watercolors using the spectrophotometer (it evaluates color based on how we see). There were eight colors that revealed themselves as the cleanest, truest representatives of their color families. We were surprised to see Amazonite Genuine and Rhodonite Genuine, two of our Primatek natural-pigment colors, among them. Who knew earth colors could be so vibrant?
See the fascinating Daniel Smith tutorial, "The Difference Between Mixing and Visual Complements ", to learn how using complementary colors will add sizzle to your next painting.
Read the in depth Daniel Smith article, "The Study of Color", and learn everything you ever needed to know about color theory.
"As a watercolorist, I'm always looking for something new -- newer colors, new reactions in color mixtures, new grays and greens --new choices to keep my work fresh. I began mixing the eight colors and found clean, transparent natural color mixtures. Beautiful! By adding Quinacridone Gold and Quinacridone Burnt Orange, I was able to take the color to another level. The Quinacridones, clean created punchy, rich, vivid, and transparent mixtures--including an amazing array of greens. In fact the clean, clear, colors in this set easily make all the colors of the natural world, including luminous neutrals. Deep, rich grays and browns are a key part of my color palette-brighter colors appear more brilliant when surrounded by neutral tones. I keep the color grid, made with all the colors in this set, on the wall in my studio. It takes a little time to make, but is well worth the investment when you reveal all these new mixtures. Experiment with colors in this set and see what you discover!" --Sally Drew
Set Includes the following 15ml tubes:
- Hansa Yellow Medium - A high-tinting, semi-transparent organic pigment. Considered the 'perfect yellow', Hansa Yellow Medium offers more control when mixing. Painters admire the purity of this primary pigment and adjust its temperature while avoiding a gray from a hidden complement. Think of a yellow pepper.
- Manganese Blue Hue - This cool turquoise blue is ideal for creating form or indicating space. It is a medium-staining semiopaque pigment with wonderful granulating properties. A good substitute for Cerulean Blue, Manganese Blue Hue offers an additional advantage: it mixes well with other non-staining semi opaques to create a mottled texture in underlying colors.
- Perinone Orange - A clear, clean vat pigment with a vast range from vivid intensity to pale and transparent fleshy washes. From carrots to soft gladiola and azalea petals, this pure chroma orange is a treat for the eye and a dream to handle. Use in place of Cadmiums when mixing and revel in its glowing transparency. Play with salt texture and lift and squeegee techniques.
- Permanent Green Light - This organic semi-transparent pigments, with high-staining properties, yields a very clean, vibrant mixture. The Phthalo Green Blue Shade and Hansa Yellow Light used in this formulation gives it excellent lightfastness. Juxtapose Permanent Green Light with Quinacridone Violet for intense visual complements, or mix for an interesting neutral gray.
- Ultramarine Blue - Plots cooler and bluer than the more saturated French Ultramarine. Temperature aside, both blues have equal permanence, lightfastness and semi-transparency. Ultramarine Blue is slightly less granular in concentrated washes. For less saturation, sedimentation and cost, use Ultramarine Blue straight, for vibrant crayon-like color or mixed with a cool red for dark, effective neutrals.
- Imperial Purple - Rich in texture, this highly saturated purple will granulate to reveal shades of plum and ultramarine. From the deepest purple, this semi-transparent and low-staining pigment continues to deliver as it is applied in ever more delicate washes to the palest lavender. Give a stand of garden Irises the royal treatment, or kiss the sunset with the softest touch.
- Amazonite Genuine - Daniel Smith has acquired a unique supply of the precious mineral Amazonite from Brazil. It's a strong pure color that is completely transparent, non-staining and lifts easily for maximum versatility. Natural Amazonite Genuine provides all the magic of the hills and forests of Brazil. This lovely teal shade of feldspar microcline, a precious mineral, was named for the Amazon River and was used in ancient times as war paint by fierce female warriors. In addition, legends state that when you wear a piece of Amazonite you will harmonize your soul and be attuned to the spiritual dimension. Small carvings of Amazonite were tucked into a baby's bunting to sooth and pacify. A shared piece of this lovely teal mineral was believed to enhance and further unite the union of soul mates.
- Rhodonite Genuine - Made from jewelry-quality stone, this versatile rose pink is wonderful for portraits and landscapes. Used wet into wet, it creates a soft, transparent glow, without granulation. At full value, it is more intense but still transparent, low-staining and non granulating.
- Quinacridone Burnt Orange - Add to French Ultramarine sky washes to gray the blue mix and render a full value scale. Use Quinacridone Burnt Orange to modify Sap Green in landscapes to achieve rich, mossy greens that coordinate land with sky.
- Quinacridone Gold - Everyone's favorite, Quinacridone Gold replaces Raw Sienna and adds versatility with its glazing and mixing capabilities. It is an excellent low-staining golden yellow pigment that can enhance any mixture. Try glazing an old "failure" with Quinacridone Gold to begin a rescue operation.