This set is a great deal and a wonderful way to explore our intriguing straight-from-the-earth pigments. From the quiet earth tones of Minnesota Pipestone and Tiger's Eye Genuine to the rich jewel colors of Amazonite, Purpurite, Rhodonite and Lapis Lazuli, they bring the subtlety, depth and complexity of the natural world to your palette.
Set contains 15ml tubes of the following colors:
- Amazonite Genuine - Daniel Smith has acquired a unique supply of the precious mineral Amazonite from Brazil. It's a strong pure color that is completely transparent, non-staining and lifts easily for maximum versatility. Natural Amazonite Genuine provides all the magic of the hills and forests of Brazil. This lovely teal shade of feldspar microcline, a precious mineral, was named for the Amazon River and was used in ancient times as war paint by fierce female warriors. In addition, legends state that when you wear a piece of Amazonite you will harmonize your soul and be attuned to the spiritual dimension. Small carvings of Amazonite were tucked into a baby's bunting to sooth and pacify. A shared piece of this lovely teal mineral was believed to enhance and further unite the union of soul mates.
- Rhodonite Genuine - Made from jewelry-quality stone, this versatile rose pink is wonderful for portraits and landscapes. Used wet into wet, it creates a soft, transparent glow, without granulation. At full value, it is more intense but still transparent, low-staining and non granulating.
- Hematite Burnt Scarlet - Hematite stones are crushed and milled to a fine pigment to create a dramatic reddish brown watercolor with maximum granulation. Add texture to your work with this genuine PrimaTek pigment. Perfect for rugged landscapes and the natural texture of wood, stones and brick. Hematite is ground from a heavy silvery-black mineral rich in iron. In a thick wash, the heavier particles settle, creating bold granulation. In a thin wash, it is a soft dove gray. Hematite or the traditional Greek name, Bloodstone - when you paint, you can almost feel the pounding of the battle drums as ancient warriors covered their bodies with Hematite in the belief that they would be protected from mortal wounds. According to lore ad superstition, large surface deposits of Hematite mark the site of hard fought battles, where the blood of fallen soldiers flowed into the ground.
- Natural Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Genuine - A unique and vibrant blue, it comes from Sleeping Beauty Mountain in Arizona where we found a deposit that lives up to our high expectations. It is lightfast and permanent, with none of the transient color fade that plagues most turquoise. Turquoise has a unique porous nature that produces granular washes. Juicy washes flow from the brush and dry brush work has the intense texture found only in a mineral pigment. Traditional mineral pigments have a muted feel, our unique Turquoise Genuine has a true brilliance. We use the highest grade mineral that is found closest to the earth's surface, where environmental factors have enhanced the structure to gemstone quality and deepened the tonal richness to a remarkable blue. Historic references of Turquoise date back as far as Egypt's first dynasty. Turquoise from the American Southwest has been unearthed in Aztec ruins and Persian turquoise was used as trading currency.
- Minnesota Pipestone - American Pipestone is the stone that unified our people in a time of transition. This sacred mineral was the stone of choice for the legendary Sioux peace pipes. Traveling through Pipestone County, Minnesota, one can almost hear the murmurs of the past. The warm, muted tones of the pipestone foster an introspective creative flow. Our Minnesota Pipestone is created from pipestone of exactly the same shade as the stone that the Plains Indians revered and reserved for the making of their pipes. Milled in small batches, it honors history and lives up to contemporary expectations. A warm, soft, earthy pink, Minnesota Pipestone is semi-opaque and granulates beautifully in washes. It is as permanent as the rock from which it is made. The combination of our historic pipestone with modern synthetics is spellbinding.
- Purpurite Genuine - Officially discovered in 1905 and named for the Latin word purpura, meaning purple, Purpurite Genuine is an intensely lavender violet that paints smoothly and easily but also granulates subtly. It is semi-opaque with low staining levels, so it offers great versatile in use and technique. Purpurite Genuine is a mineral with a naturally occurring, low luster, silky sub-metallic sheen. This unique characteristic allows your painting to take on additional dimension as the light interacts with your washes and glazes. Enjoy adding this natural mineral pigment to your palette. You'll love the richness of this unique and rare purple color!
- Lapis Lazuli Genuine - Prized for its beauty, its mystical properties, and its perfection as a pigment. Ancient civilizations believed that the veins of glittering pyrite found in the lapis were actual gold, driving up its value. The stone's expense today, as in the ancient world, results from its hardness, which makes extraction difficult. Mined in the mountains of South America, this gem-quality pigment is an opulent blue. There is not a hint of gray in this paint, with a classic, concentrated blue that is vibrant and light reflective (due to the irregular and angular shape of the pigment particles). A touch of golden pyrite as an inclusion adds a delightful shimmer. The result is an elegant, almost three-dimensional effect that is completely different from the predictable blue of synthetic ultramarine pigments. Our Genuine Lapis Lazuli is at least 80% pure gem pigment suspended in a natural binder.
- Tiger's Eye Genuine - Made from the brownish-gold stone with rippling bands of light that remind you of cat's eyes. The gemstone, a member of the quartz family, is stained with dark iron oxide creating the distinctive bands and markings called the chatoyant effect. The combination of quartz and iron oxide produces a remarkable paint that is very transparent and non-staining. as well as strongly colored and granulating. The color is olive drab with undertones of cool ash brown. With great textural effects combined with versatile color, this will quickly become a staple of your palette
- Sodalite Genuine - A distinctive deep blue color is one of the components of Lapis Lazuli and very rare. DANIEL SMITH Sodalite is the finest quality and deepest blue that comes from Greenland and the flanks of Italy's Mount. Vesuvius. In watercolor, the inky color of this semi precious stone granulates as it dries, layering a blue-black textural surface on a smooth blue-gray undertone. Low staining, lightfast and semi-transparent, Sodalite creates a three-dimensional quality as it dries.
Minimum Item Quantity 1 is required to purchase.
Item Quantity exceeds the limit 0 . Questions? Feel free to Call or Chat.