DANIEL SMITH Extra Fine Watercolor Granulating 10 Tube Set
Choose this set when you want the ultimate in texture! These subtle, versatile colors are created from heavy, granular pigments that, when applied in washes, settle into beautiful reticulated patterns that enhance texture. Made from iron-rich earth pigments, Lunar Black and Lunar Red Rock are Daniel Smith exclusives with an extremely pronounced granulation effect that resembles the rocky surface of the moon.
The DANIEL SMITH Granulating Watercolor Set includes ten 15ml tubes of DANIEL SMITH watercolor in the following colors:
- Lunar Red Rock - Add texture to you watercolor paintings with this rich burgundy watercolor. Lunar Red Rock is a lovely violet-red that granulates and travels in the wet areas of your painting. Add more water for maximum granulation and watch as the pigment settles into your paper leaving a light wash of color with a deeper shade of reticulated pattern.
- Perylene Scarlet - A medium staining and semi-transparent pigment. It creates vivid, dark washes with a clean brilliant orange hue. This sedimentary pigment offers an additional health plus, as it is made from a metal-free red. Clean, modern pigments such as this will make accidental mud-making a thing of the past.
- Cascade Green - The craggy peaks of the Cascade Mountains divide lush, damp western Washington from the dry high plains of the east. Conifer forests, rushing streams and alpine meadows showcase a million shades of green and inspired this versatile addition to our artist-preferred greens. As you brush it on, subtle variation from dark to light adds the illusion of depth. Straight from the tube, this rich, mid-range green is cool, dark and mossy. In washes, it has a stunning clarity. In any application, it has excellent lightfastness.
- Goethite (Brown Ochre) - Found in iron deposits nearly worldwide, Goethite (Brown Ochre) is named after Johann Wolfgang Goethe, the German philosopher, poet and mineralogist. Our unusually pure pigment is mined in Russia, south of Moscow. Rich and warm, DANIEL SMITH Goethite is a dark tea color in masstone and washes out to a rich, warm tan. In washes, it displays intriguing granulation, with pools of light and dark in every brush stroke. Like all colors derived from the earth, it is lightfast and permanent lasting connection to the planet and the creative forces of nature.
- Buff Titanium - Spatter or drop a brush load of Buff Titanium into a moist wash and enjoy the pigment displacement. Unique to Daniel Smith, Buff Titanium resembles the ecru shades of sand and antique lace and simulates the porous texture of an eggshell. It is a most welcome neutral, with semi-transparent to opaque non-staining properties. Pre-mix Buff Titanium with Quinacridone Rose or Perinone Orange for subtle hues and matte surfaces ideal for the velvety petals of your favorite flowers. Mix with Indigo or Van Dyke Brown to create slate-colored shadows and soft feathers. Glaze a dried landscape with a misty, atmospheric mood.
- Pompeii Red - A dramatic rusty red-orange – the charismatic color of autumn's falling leaves. Made from earth that has been heated to attain a burnt color, this granulating watercolor adds texture and gives a glow of natural warmth. Soft folds of fabric, or the slopes of distant sunlight hills, benefit from Pompeii Red's earthen color. Mixed with Carmine, a lovely vermillion with a slight pink undertone is produced.
- Rose of Ultramarine - This exciting blend mixes Quinacridone Rose and Ultramarine Blue. The blue settles as the rose floats, creating a vibrant, dimensional purple. For those artist artists who "always mix their own purples", this unique, otherwise unattainable separation is worth exploring. Juxtapose Rose of Ultramarine with pure Phthalo Blue for fun and effect.
- Mangenese Blue Hue - This cool turquoise blue is ideal for creating form or indicating space. It is a medium-staining semiopaque pigment with wonderful granulating properties. A good substitute for Cerulean Blue, Manganese Blue Hue offers an additional advantage: it mixes well with other non-staining semiopaque to create a mottled texture in underlying colors.
- Nickel Titanate Yellow - This semi-transparent Yellow Green appears opaque in mass, yet lifts cleanly. It is low staining, making it excellent in portrait mixtures for dark flesh tones. Use concentrated to diluted mixtures in florals and field flowers. This lemon yellow hue works well with purples and all the greens.
- Lunar Black - Imagine a transparent black with an expansive value range and pigment particles that react like magnetic shavings attracting and repelling each other. Unique pigment properties make Lunar Black a radically reticulating color. When dry, a Lunar Black wash resembles a marbled moonscape. This mottled stony texture can be successfully glazed. You can even gently paint into a wet to damp Lunar Black, dropping in watery pigment-virtually any combination of favorites. Lunar Black is an inorganic neutral black watercolor pigment and a Daniel Smith exclusive.
See our article, "Granulating Watercolors from Daniel Smith", to learn all about our our granulating watercolors .
Minimum Item Quantity 1 is required to purchase.
Item Quantity exceeds the limit 0 . Questions? Feel free to Call or Chat.